announcing the Scale Matcher!

By , August 23, 2013 7:00 pm

I’ve been a bit of a hermit the last few weeks, burning the candle both ends and spending the majority of my spare time building a new toy … well actually it started out as a toy, but now I think it’s good enough for musicians to use as a serious tool for improving their improvisation / compositional skills, and harmonic understanding.

So I’m very pleased (and relieved) to be able to announce … <drum roll> … the Scale Matcher!  It should work equally well on your computer, phone, and tablet.  Please try it out and let me know what you think!  You can also click the About and FAQ buttons to find out more.

Thanks to Barak Schmool for providing the original inspiration to do this, and for the time he spent testing it out and suggesting improvements.

Scale Matcher home page

Scale Matcher sample results page

6 Responses to “announcing the Scale Matcher!”

1. Marty Honda says:

Great idea! Question though: on Cmaj7 it puts F natural in red, meaning it’s a characteristic note for Cmaj7. But F natural is an “avoid” note for Cmaj7.

2. Adam says:

Well, not quite. The red notes are associated a particular mode, not with a chord. In your example, it’s saying (a) that you can use C Ionian (i.e. C major) to improvise over Cmaj7, and (b) that F natural is a distinctive feature of C Ionian as compared to the other modes listed (e.g. C Lydian which has F# instead of F natural). It’s not saying that you need to emphasise the F natural a lot, and even though it’s known as an “avoid” note, it’s perfectly reasonable to play it (e.g. as a passing note). So you have the freedom to choose – do you want to go for an Ionian sound, or a Lydian sound? Either is a valid choice. The only real rule in improvising is “play something which sounds good”. If you can find a way of playing F natural of Cmaj7 which sounds good (and it is possible), then you should!

3. richard says:

I think its great. Well done Adam!

4. Adam says:

Thanks Richard!

5. Marty Honda says:

Ah…yes, that makes sense. Mode vs. chord. And I know I have played F natural over Cmaj7, to varying degrees of success.

6. Janek Warchoł says:

This is very nice! I wish i had some more time to look at the source.